Thursday, March 22, 2012

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sunrise 4:13 Sunset 22:32. Morning 2°\35.6F. Afternoon 2°\35.6F  Partly cloudy

Smooth seas/gentle rolling swells from the north and west

Well, this is it, easy restful days and nights to prepare for the long endurance haul of airports and flights to get back home.

We and the Captain slept in. He said he threw a party for the naturalist staff since this is the end of their season and they go home with us when we leave. Evidently there was some heavy drinking and people were a little slow to get back to business. We had a good and fairly quiet breakfast. Clay tried to stay awake through a morning lecture, no luck. I watched Burlesque on the movie channel and then took my nap while Clay watched The Dilemma. We had already seen both. The only movies they are showing that we haven't seen are probably scary and that is why. I will post the list in case people are interested.

The Help
The Adjustment Bureau
The Blind Side
Eat Pray Love
The Lovely Bones
Rango
It's Complicated
Burlesque
Fast Five
Couples Retreat
Last Chance Harvey
The Dilemma
Captain America
The Tourist
Shutter Island

Just back from lunch. We had to go up to deck 6 because there was literally nothing today for me to eat in the main deck 2 restaurant. Everything came from the sea! They always have hamburgers on the pool deck and you can eat inside. There is still a hard place for me to get past between decks 5 and 6, but I paused just below the landing and waited it out and then made it on up. We are rocking back and forth, but it is a gentle and fairly regular rocking, so it is tolerable.

In the afternoon, we watched The Lovely Bones. It was slightly less disturbing as a film than as a novel.

There is nothing really going on for the rest of the day until 5:45pm when they are showing our cruise's DVD in the theater, followed by The Captain's Farewell Gala and crew presentation at 7, followed by the Gala Dinner at 8. We expect another fairly easy day tomorrow and that will be perfect.

Dinner wound up lasting until after 10pm because they did another crew presentation in the dining room before dessert. The meal was fixed as the Captain's Welcome was, which meant that they just brought out courses and you ate them or not. Since I think 2 or 3 of them were fish, followed by very rare steak with seared foie gras, I had a long, hungry night.

Drake Lake!
We are having a very different Drake Crossing on our return! Much better, plus we've all had time to get our sea legs.

In the theater, during the Captain's speech, my left ear popped and that was the end of hearing on that side. Updating, that I did not get that ear unpopped and hearing restored until a week later, after getting home, visiting the ENT and taking about 7 days’ worth of drugs. All better as I post this. That said I am still tied up ashore, meaning that you know how the water laps up a couple of feet and then back out a couple of feet right at the shore. I am doing that. That is what my ears’ balance center is telling me and has been telling me since we moored! I guess I shouldn’t feel too bad because Clay complained for over a week after we left Le Boreal that he still felt like he was on a ship. That’s the price you pay sometimes!

On the bed tonight, we had a tip envelope, a Gohagan feedback letter, and our disembarkation letter and luggage tags. It is time to go home.

The Captain said he would wake us up around 7am to see Cape Horn.